Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fall weekend -Football tailgate, Concert, and pumpkin patch

SMU Tailgate with Arden
Picking out a pumpkin
Pumpkin patch

The weather is cooling off and Fall is finally here in Texas. I had a dr's appointment on Friday so I was able to pick up Matthew earlier than usual. We stopped by a few stores on our way home and Matthew enjoyed the halloween store. I was surprised that the scary sales people didn't phase him. We made it home but Matthew was just about to blow a fuse when we pulled up into the driveway. I bribed him with a cookie from our purse and a few other treats but his patience had reached the limit and he was ready to eat. Lately he only cares to eat peanut butter and jelly. He says "how about peanut butter and jelly". He climbs up on the counter and wants to do everything himself - get the bread out of the bag, spread the peanut butter and then jelly, and put the two pieces of bread together. He will climb down from the counter and then carry his plate to the table.

Andy went to workout Saturday morning so Matthew and I just hung out around the house. Matthew woke up right before Andy left so he was happy to see him. We played with his puzzle match game that matches the spanish colors with objects of the same color. Matthew surprised us by saying all of his colors in english and spanish. Andy and I didn't even know that!

At 11am, we headed to our neighbor's 3rd birthday party where they had a bounce house. Matthew was moody and shy and didn't want to get into the bounce house at first. Andy ended up getting inside there with him and then Matthew warmed up to the idea. Matthew climbed on the hammock and ended up falling off with a minor bump on the head. The black eye was still there from the prior week. This didn't help his mood. After the cake, Matthew was more willing to walk around on his own and play with a ball. He didn't talk much at the party but later he would say "happy birthday Samantha".

We took our usual 2-hour nap and then headed to the SMU tailgate. Matthew rode on Andy's shoulders. He played with Arden and threw the football around. Arden gave him some biscuit and Matthew ended up chomping on her finger in the process. She cried a little but Matthew would not say he was sorry. He still talks about that incident.

Ana Paula came over to babysit shortly after. Andy and I changed clothes quickly and then headed to the Cattle Barron's ball at Southfork ranch. We listened to Jack Ingram in concert and enjoyed the food. We decided to cut out early because we knew that Matthew would get us up early the next morning so we missed the performance by Alan Jackson. It was a good decision because Matthew was up around 6:00am on Sunday. Andy yelled "go back to bed, Matthew, it's too early" and that seemed to work for 30 more minutes.

Andy's allergies were bothering him and he was feeling ill throughout the night so I offered to get up and tend to Matthew and let Andy sleep in. Matthew and I went to breakfast to get out of the house. Matthew was in the best mood and just talking up a storm. All the wait staff commented on him. He was asking the waitress her name... he wasn't shy at all! We took a walk and then took Rusty to the park. Several months ago we went to the park and we ate peanut butter crackers while sitting at the picnic table. Matthew asked for peanut butter crackers again when we saw that same picnic table. I was amazed that he would remember that.

Around 10am, Andy joined us at the park. By this point, I felt like we had a full day of activities! We played around the house and then took our naps shortly afterwards. We headed to the pumpkin patch near our house. Matthew picked out a couple of pumpkins and we put them on our porch. I also bought a fall wreath for the door. Matthew and I made a pumpkin with construction paper during our arts and crafts time. He was really proud of his artwork and showed it to daddy.




No comments: