Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

The weekend started early for Daddy Andy. Matthew's daycare had a Father's day celebration at 3pm. Andy went there and enjoyed chips and salsa and koolaid with Matthew and his friends. Matthew was proud to have daddy there and he wanted to be sure that Andy did not leave without him by holding up his arms for Andy to pick him up. Andy took Rusty to get his shots from the vet and then we all met at Pappasitos for dinner (of course, Rusty stayed home).

On Saturday, we had vendors over to clean our carpets. Matthew was watching them with big eyes and later commented on "cleaning carpet" by moving his hand in a circular motion to imitate their machines. He's so funny that he never misses a detail. The weather is hot, hot, hot. Andy took Matthew and Rusty to the park while the carpet cleaners continued. After they finished, Matthew and I enjoyed lunch at Whataburger while Andy went to work out. Matthew nearly drank the ketchup in a small dipping container. He loves ketchup.

We went to the library and Matthew was in heaven there. He was having fun looking at books and even climbing into the chairs. He's our little book worm. It was technically nap time but I drug him out to target for another errand. I gave him popcorn and an icee to keep him entertained in the grocery cart while I bought a few things, including Andy's father's day present. It was 1:30pm by the time I came back from the store and Matthew was sound asleep. When I moved him from the car into his bed, he was limp and hardly flinched. He was exhausted. He slept for 3 hours!

After the long nap, I peeked in his room to find him playing in the floor. He has been getting out of his crib this week and just playing around the room. When I put him to bed at night, he has been climbing out at least once and then I have to go put him back in the crib for a final goodnight. He will walk over to the door and knock and say thing like "mama", "hola", "knock-knock". It's so cute and annoying at the same time.

But after the nap, he had a big poop so he felt great. I had to give him a bath to get rid of the smell (yes, it was one of those big blowouts). He screamed because he thought he was getting back into the bedtime routine. We took him out to eat at Maggiano's for his favorite - spaghetti. He had it all over him because he was hungry. We walked around the mall afterwards and he was running saying "hurry" and excited to get to the fountain or observe the art work in the middle. He was having so much fun. We tried to get him to burn as much energy as he could. He was really into Daddy this weekend. Even at night, he would climb into Andy's chair and do belly flops onto him. He likes to wrestle with Andy.

On Sunday, Matthew woke up at 6am. Andy didn't ask for much for Father's Day but he was hopeful to sleep in. Oh well! We went to church and we were running late so we just took Matthew in the service with us instead of going to the nursery. He did well but we thought he was sleepy. Instead, he was smiling and jumping up and down on the pews. We went to breakfast afterwards but as soon as we sat down in the booth, Matthew was whining and laying down so we decided to just come on home. Matthew screamed the entire drive home because he was tired, etc. Happy Father's day Andy!

I put Matthew down for a nap as soon as we got home and sure enough, he climbs out of the crib and he is knocking on the door ready to come out. I was sleepy and tried to ignore it but Andy came to the rescue when he heard Matthew starting to yell "mama". Andy swam in the pool with him and said that Matthew was becoming fearless - just jumping in on his own. Papa Snider came into town on his way to Arkansas so I picked him up from the airport while Andy put Matthew down for a nap. When Matthew woke up by knocking on his door, Papa opened it and Matthew had a big grin. I just laid down for a nap and when I heard "hola", I yelled "Papa" so that I could continue sleeping and it worked.

Papa played with Matthew and watched the US Open. We all got into the pool around 5pm and Matthew was going under water left and right. It was nuts. I was getting worried because he would barely come up for a breath and then he wanted to go back under. I think he was really excited about this new concept of swimming. He's getting the hang of it. Now if we can just get him to kick his feet and move his arms at the same time. Papa put Matthew down to sleep and he said that Matthew could barely hold his eyes open as he scratched his back in the crib. I was shocked to hear that Matthew didn't pop back up out of the crib. But I guess Dad's have the magic touch.

Happy Father's Day! A special wish goes out to Papa Durkin, Papa Bruce, Papa Snider, and Great Papa Guido.





1 comment:

Lori said...

So cute! I love the stories. Keep em coming. :)