Sunday, November 15, 2009

Terrible Two's are here: Matthew can get out of his crib

This week was one of the more challenging weeks with Matthew.  On Monday, I took Matthew to the doctor first thing in the morning.  He had 3 or 4 loose bowel movements a day that seemed to be getting worse.  He also had a runny nose that just wouldn't stop and he seemed more fussy than usual.  The doctor told me that he just had a virus and there was really nothing they could give him.  It was the peace of mind that made me feel better (this swine flue threat is weighing on my mind these days).  Andy and I also felt queasy with a painful pressure before bm's so this must be what Matthew was feeling.

He came home from daycare on Monday and he seemed fine up until the point that I diluted his juice with water.  He cried and threw a fit.  I put him in the high chair to feed him (typical routine) and he was kicking his legs in protest.  I forced the tray on top of him and he cried even more.  Andy even tried to console him by taking him outside and that didn't work.  He put him back in the high chair and we tried to ignore him through dinner (that's what the dr said to do).  

It seemed like 20 minutes and Matthew did not calm down.  I took him upstairs and put his pjs on and then took him on the balcony upstairs to finally get him to stop crying.  Our neighbors had a fire pit and Matthew got excited and started pointing to it.  He started giggling and smiling.  I felt bad he didn't eat anything for dinner, so I took him back downstairs and he ate everything just like there was nothing wrong with the high chair or food and he was saying "mama" in between bites.  After I put him to bed, I read the daycare update and I was surprised to hear that he only took an hour nap.  He usually takes a 1.5 to 2 hour nap from 12:30 - 2:30pm.  It sounds like he was probably over tired.
  
Throughout the week, Matthew was getting up at 6:15am (normally it's an hour later but I think he is still messed up from the time change) so he is getting an hour less sleep per night than normal.  He would have a bm before we even came running into his room to get him out of the crib in the mornings.  He woke up several times in the middle of the night but fell back asleep without us going into the room.  In the evenings, we put him in the high chair and he is throwing his fork in the floor and throwing food down.  We scold him and he stops for a while but we eventually have to remove the food from him.  Matthew is also teething with his back molars so that is adding to his fussy mood.  

As the week went on, he seemed to do better in his high chair.  We were almost thinking there was something wrong with our high chair.  In daycare, they have a table and chairs so maybe he likes that better.  On Friday, we tried to go to our usual spot for dinner (Fernandos) and once we got there, we decided that he was too fussy to eat out.  He was getting sleepy.  So we ordered the food to go and Matthew enjoyed his dinner in front of his favorite show (the Backyardagan's) in the comfort of his own home.  Andy and I have decided that we will not take him out to a restaurant until we feel that he can go without crying.  It's too embarrassing.  We try to ignore it but people start looking at us thinking "why aren't you guys doing anything?"  but if we ignore it then he will usually calm down.  One of us is usually carrying him around to wait for the food and then we have to eat it really quickly so it's no fun for us.  

On Saturday, we took Matthew to get a haircut (second time).  He did okay in the chair.  I had to hold him.  The weather was nice in the 70's so we took a long walk.  I hosted a baby shower so Andy took Matthew to the Dallas Aquarium.  Matthew enjoyed getting out but I think Andy was exhausted because he was trying to keep up with Matthew in a kid-crowded area.  We put Matthew to bed and I almost fell asleep while reading to Matthew.  I ended up in bed around 7:30pm!  

On Sunday, Matthew was up around 6:30am.  We discussed going out for breakfast but then we realized that he was fussy the last time we went to Angelas for breakfast and he also seemed fussy today.  Hopefully, we can go out to eat one of these days!  When we came home after church, Matthew was crying the entire trip home (because he was tired).  

He almost feel asleep when we were heading to church but we woke him up to go play in the nursery.  So, we put him in his crib after church.  He cried for a minute or so and the next thing I know, I hear a thump and then I hear him trying to turn the doornob.  He managed to get out of his crib!  He was smiling and in the best mood so we took him downstairs to play a while.  We were playing outside and then Matthew wanted to play with the water in the pool and his bucket.  I told him no but he didn't listen so then I take him inside and he cries.  I thought we could get some dried beans and put them in containers and that would be equally satisfying for him without getting wet.  He liked it but then he started throwing the beans everywhere testing my "no".   At this point, he was ready for a nap so we put him into his crib and he slept a couple of hours.  After the nap, he was in a good mood but he was into everything!

He still threw food on the floor during dinner time and received a stern warning.  Andy and I can definitely tell a difference in Matthew and his actions.  We are exhausted!  He has his cute moments and he is talking more each day.  I heard him say "F" when reading the alphabet book so he is picking it up.  I am so thankful that Andy is able to help me out.  I don't know how I could make it without a supportive husband.  

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh my, that does sound exhausting. Hopefully, with the holidays you will get some more help. :)