Monday, May 4, 2015

The week of April 13th

Late Sunday night, April 12th, Mike called me and told me that dad was rushed to the emergency room.  He was having stomach pains and he fell down.  Mike and Mom thought he was having a heart attack.  It turns out that my dad had a bleeding stomach tumor.  My dad was in the intensive care unit for several days while they took a biopsy and tried to figure out what to do next.  On Wed, he had an emergency surgery to save his life.  They gave him a blood transfusion since his blood count level dropped down to a 5 and they cut open his stomach and removed the tumor.  I checked Rusty into a doggy day care/boarding place and then drove down to Victoria to be with my family.   Luckily, everything went well with the surgery.  I was able to see dad after the surgery and visit with the family for a short while before heading back to Houston.  I'm so thankful that I live closer to them to be able to take day trips like that.  Andy had to pickup both kids after school so he left the office early, picked them up, went to the park, and then Audrey talked him into going to Munchies Frozen Yogurt.  She even gave him directions on how to get there.
My siblings came into town to help out my mom.  She spent many nights at the hospital and didn't get much sleep.
I turned on my music in the car and one of the kids vacation bible school songs came on, "Don't worry, just pray".  It was something I needed to hear and we all kept praying for my dad throughout the week.  Matthew had a baseball game on Thursday.  I had a much-needed hair appointment on Friday.  Mike had a training in town so he drove up on Friday and he joined us at the indoor pool place with the kids.  On Saturday, we had our first cub scouts outing at the history museum.  Matthew and Audrey enjoyed learning about the times of our great grandparents.  My parents were supposed to take Audrey to Frozen on Ice but due to the health circumstances, they were unable to go.  I took her to it and she loved it!  I felt bad they didn't get to be there with her.
We headed to Victoria late Saturday and stayed the night.  Andy and I visited dad in the hospital.  We brought Soduko and crosswords with a mechanical pencil.  Rusty was surprised to see Lori at Nanna and Papa's house and whined when he saw her.  It was cute.  And the kids had fun with Aunt Lori and Uncle Mike.  We took the kids to the hospital for a quick visit with Papa.  He enjoyed seeing them.


 Audrey was excited to go to school after a week off
 Audrey's pointing to her artwork
 Audrey brought cotton candy back for Matthew from the Frozen on Ice

 Audrey took this picture at the hospital

No comments: